Building acoustics is the science of controlling noise in buildings. This includes the minimisation
of noise transmission from one space to other, the control of sound propagation in a confined
space and characteristics of sound wthin spaces themselvec.
This can be achieved with materials, design and acoustic techniques.
Why is building acoustics so important?
Acoustics can have a huge impact on health, wellbeing, communication and productivity.
Acoustics, “sound quality” can be particular importance in rooms such as recording studios,
concert halls, lecture halls, room type open space, offices and so on, where the quality
of sound and its intelligibility are very important.
The acoustics of the building / room are influenced, among others, by:
- geometry and volume of space,
- sound absorption in space,
- transmission airbone sound between spaces,
- transmission impact sounds between spaces,
- transmission and reflection characteristics of surfaces enclosing the space and within the space,
- the generation of sound inside or outside the space, etc.